A Snyder In The Sun

A Snyder In The Sun

Gallbladder Stones And Lazy Days

In a few hours it will be a week since my gallbladder was ripped out of me.  I'm not a baby when it comes to pain.  I've never cried during labor and I may whine a little when I have a cold, but for the most part I keep my shit together and press on.  But this?  Sweet lordy jeezus, this shit hurt!

It started in March, the gallbladder attacks.  One night I was laying in bed watching Ru Paul's Drag Race, content as a clam, and the next minute I was struggling with pain for two hours that I thought might just be gas.  By the time we were on our way to the ER the weird pain had subsided.  I almost didn't go to the hospital at all but Jon said it was better safe than sorry and that we needed to make sure the baby was alright.

Whilst in the ER I got some IV saline solution and an ultrasound was performed.  Thankfully the baby was just fine but the docs suspected my gallbladder was causing the problem and they told me to go on a low-fat diet. And I did....for like a week.

For 2 months I had an attack here and there but nothing too extreme until the end of May. It was the night before Memorial Day when one hit that lasted 9 hours.  It was truly much more painful than any labor I've gone through, mostly because the attacks don't subside like contractions do and I didn't have a strong ass epidural to numb me.  I rode the attack out and thought I better start taking the diet thing seriously or my fucking gallbladder would probably explode.  So I was really good about what I ate.  A few days later I had another attack.  And the next day I had two!  The second one lasted 8 hours before I woke Jon up and said we needed to go back to the ER.  

I was given pain meds and eventually admitted so they could monitor my situation and the baby.  Basically my situation was that my precious gallbladder was chock full of stones and swollen.  At 29 weeks pregnant the doctors were afraid my gallbladder would get infected and they would have to do emergency surgery.  On the other hand, being almost 30 weeks along, the surgery to remove it via laparoscopic incisions could be difficult because my uterus is high up in my belly.  Also, any type of surgery presents risks to the fetus because of the anesthesia. So they monitored me for two more days and saw that the pain wasn't going away.  There was no way I could go through 10 more weeks of pregnancy dealing with the attacks I was having daily.  My baby would come out addicted to pain medication if they sent me home with meds and a rotten gallbladder.  As much as I was freaked out to have surgery, I pushed for it anyway.

Finally my OB, the other docs, and surgeon all agreed to take the worthless organ out.  I was prepped, wheeled into the OR, and shot up with something that promptly knocked me the fuck out.  When I woke up I was being wheeled to recovery and in more pain than I've ever felt in my life.  Holy hell it was bad.  They pushed a few doses of miracle drugs through my veins a few times and I had to wait for the shit to kick in.  They said 10 minutes and the relief would come.  It felt more like 10 hours.  

Once I was back in my room they monitored the baby and after about an hour he was as lively as ever.  Such a relief.  The pain was tremendous once the meds wore off, and that's kind of how it went for the next few days.  I was allowed to come home the day after surgery, which was nice because I'd been living at the hospital for 4 days at that point.  It was lovely to have a break from screaming kids, but being prodded by needles and talked to by 300 different doctors and nurses at all hours of the day and night is more exhausting than having an army of children yelling and demanding snacks all day.

So here I am a week later and finally feeling semi-human again.  Today is the first day I haven't had to take anything for the pain.  Yay!!  Don't get me wrong, I'm still sore as can be, but I'm powering through and taking it as easy as possible, which includes eating extremely healthy and resting a whole bunch when I start feeling icky.  Fuck the dishes, mama needs to relax!


Feel free to pass me around to your friends.  I like to be shared ;)